You will need:
45g fresh ground medium-coarse coffee (like Kosher salt)
720g hot water of 195-205 degrees
A kitchen scale (optional)
- Chose your favorite whole bean coffee and grind fresh using a burr grinder, which will allow for an even grind particle size. A Chemex paper filter uses a medium-coarse grind.
- Using the bonded Chemex brand filter, fold into a cone shape so that one side is three layers thick (this thicker side should be placed over the spout). Rinse the filter with hot water, which will also pre-heat the vessel. Once the water has drained through the filter, dispose of the water from the brewer.
- Put one rounded scoop of ground coffee for every 5oz cup into the filter. If using a scale, we suggest using a 16 to 1 ratio such as 45g of coffee for every 8 cup Chemex coffee maker and 720g total water-weight.
- Using water that is 195-205 degrees, pour a small amount of water evenly to saturate the coffee (about 50-75g water). Allow it to swell and “bloom” to 30 seconds.
- Continue the pour by adding water in a circular motion trying to stay away from the filter wall, keeping the “slurry” from ½ to ¾ full at all times. The more constant the agitation, the better quality extraction.
- Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed (or desired weight; for an 8 cup we suggest 720g of water), lift out and dispose of the filter and spent grounds.
- Sip. Enjoy!
Brew time: 3-5 Minutes