Chai Spiced Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Leaves from 1 English Breakfast tea bag
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer until smooth. In another bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, fennel, cardamom, and tea. Add to butter mixture and beat on low speed until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set 1-tbsp. balls of dough 1 in. apart on sheets and flatten slightly with a floured glass.
- 3. Bake until cookies are light golden on undersides, 15 to 18 minutes, switching pan positions halfway through baking. Transfer to racks to cool.
- *Grind in a clean coffee grinder or in a mortar.
- Make ahead: Up to 3 days, stored airtight.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Chai – Cherry Walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil $
- 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk together spices, salt, and pepper. Add brown sugar, oil, and walnuts. Gently toss and rub nuts in mixture until evenly coated.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, turning nuts halfway through baking, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes total. Let nuts cool completely.
- Toss walnuts with dried cherries.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 week. Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.